Thursday, December 10, 2009

Unfinished Figure Drawing

I don't know what it is about this one that I like so much, but I thought I'd post it. When I draw the initial sketch and lay the ground, I almost lose the drawing underneath. Then I erase the lightest values and add the darkest values with a darker conte. This is the way the drawing usually looks after doing this, just before I work on the midtones. At this point the drawing has the most contrast. As I work on the midtones the drawing can lose some of its impact because sometimes I overwork the midtones and it weakens the drawing. That said, I wish I had enough time to finish it. Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. You like it because of the contrast - it's like what I was talking to you about the other day. The contrast, and the dark conte makes it "pop." Makes the space work. Nice job.
    -Ed

    ReplyDelete